Cozy apparel, new silhouettes call for jewelry that will usher in your fall and winter style.
Fashion’s having a throwback season this fall and winter, and the jewelry you’ll want to wear with it will also have a vintage vibe. Cold-weather style is influenced this year by a step back into the 1970s, a nod to the 1940s and the Victorian era.
Era by era
Apparel takes a retro twist this season. Jeans and pants have higher waists — jeans are either skinny or 1970s-style bell-bottoms. Tailored trousers balance the higher waist with full legs reminiscent of menswear-inspired 1940s Hollywood, in either full lengths or cropped. Hemlines vary, but a resurgent longer length with a flare around the calf also calls back to the 1940s. A nod to the Victorian era comes with velvet, lace and ruffles.
The higher waists and extra volume around your lower leg and feet call for jewelry to balance the looks.
If you’re channeling that 1970s vibe:
- Long yellow gold chains with geometric or a fringed tassel have a hint of vintage while looking totally new.
- Large-diameter hoop earrings.
- Geometric drop earrings.
- Gypsy-worthy stacked gold bangle bracelets.
To accent a 1940s Hollywood elegance:
- Pearls in every color and style — earrings, necklaces and rings.
- Diamond stud earrings.
- White gold or platinum fashion rings.
- A fine watch with a leather strap.
The neo-Victorian look, with influences from Downton Abbey and steampunk, so you can be refined or a little more funky in your jewelry.
- Color gemstones and color diamonds in chunky faceted cuts in necklaces and rings.
- Natural and flower motifs are in play.
- Lockets or cameos complement period looks.
No matter what style inspiration you choose this winter, there’s beautiful jewelry to complement your look.