Accentuate the positive, no matter your face shape, with this guide to your most flattering earrings.
When choosing jewelry to wear, there are so many things to consider. Not only are you choosing which type of jewelry to purchase (modern, traditional, vintage-y), you’re selecting a metal and which gemstones (if any) you’d like. While most of these choices are best just left up to personal preference, shopping for earrings can be a little more complex. Many fashion experts would tell you to just go ahead and choose any earrings you like, but if you want to ensure that the earrings you wear will look the most flattering on you, it’s best to consider the style and shape of the earrings, and how they look with your particular face shape. Use this guide to determine your face shape, and how to choose the best earrings for it.
If you want to ensure that the earrings you wear will look the most flattering on you, it’s best to consider the style and shape of the earrings, and how they look with your particular face shape.
If you have a round face shape, it’s circular in nature, with the widest point of your face being the cheeks. A round face doesn’t taper narrowly down to the chin. To balance a round face, longer, dangling earrings look great. Styles to consider include:
- An elongated teardrop.
- Chains with a bauble on the end.
- A cascade of gemstones.
Women with round faces may want to avoid round shapes that echo the face shape.
A narrow face shape is long and not wide. The jaw, cheeks and forehead are all about the same width. To add fullness to a narrow face, choose:
- Round shapes, such as pear studs, round diamond studs, gemstone studs, or any “button” style of earring, including pearl clusters and gemstone clusters.
- If you like long, dangly earrings, look for styles that have round shapes incorporated into them. Anything that adds a soft, round shape will bring out your cheekbones.
A square face shape is equally long as it is wide — the cheekbones and jawline are the same width. Remember not to wear wide earrings, they will just add to the width of your face. Look for:
- Rounder shapes — pearls, button styles and dangling circular forms.
- Hoop earrings. Up the drama for evening and wear large hoops — they’re fashionable, glamorous and flattering.
- Avoid square or diamond shapes.
Lucky oval! Just as almost any eyeglass style looks good on you, the oval face shape looks great wearing most earring styles. If you want to emphasize your classic looks, consider:
- Long, dangling earrings that also have an oval shape.
- A long teardrop style.
Wider styles also help to cancel out any notion of narrowness in your face. Add to your jewelry wardrobe often, and experiment with all the earring styles and shapes.
A heart face is narrowest at the chin, getting gradually wider, with the widest area being the forehead. Accentuate this shape with:
- Long earrings that feature curving shapes — they’ll accentuate your prominent cheekbones.
- Ornate chandelier earrings.
- Long teardrops in metal, gemstone or diamond styles — they can soften the look of a pointier chin.
You can recognize a diamond face shape by the prominent cheekbones. The forehead area and the chin are narrower than the center of the face. As with the heart shape, you will accentuate those cheekbones with:
- Long, dangling earrings that feature softly curving shapes.
- Avoid earrings with a diamond shape — they won’t harmonize as well with your face and might actually overemphasize the widest part of your face.